Mission and Join
Guiding Community Design
Based on a survey of 200 founding SEED® members, the following mission, principles and criteria are defined to further social, economic and environmental justice through all the design fields: architecture, industrial design, communication design, landscape architecture and urban planning.
SEED's Mission is to advance the right of every person to live in a socially, economically and environmentally healthy community.
- SEED Principle 1: Advocate with those who have a limited voice in public life.
- SEED Principle 2: Build structures for inclusion that engage stakeholders and allow communities to make decisions.
- SEED Principle 3: Promote social equality through discourse that reflects a range of values and social identities.
- SEED Principle 4: Generate ideas that grow from place and build local capacity.
- SEED Principle 5: Design to help conserve resources and minimize waste.
Become a Member — Take the Pledge
The SEED® network is comprised of SEED members—individuals, groups or organizations that have elected to support the SEED Mission and Principles through their own practices. SEED members have taken the SEED Pledge and thus are actively engaged in promoting the meaning of SEED in their work. Supporting SEED through its Mission and Principles is one of the best ways to start bringing the SEED Mission to your practice on a local or global level. Join SEED today by simply reading the pledge statement below, fill in your information, and clicking on the Pledge button. This will add your name to our growing list of like-minded advocates!
I pledge to actively further the SEED Mission and SEED Principles and to use them as a guide for my work.